Hello there and happy Tuesday! It has been one heck of a week already and it’s only Tuesday. Whew! At least the weather is cooperating with us (knock on wood) so far here in Michigan and is sticking with the seasonal Spring weather, unlike past years where Winter has made a reappearance 😉
I feel like life has been so busy and random these past few weeks, so I have ten random thoughts to share with you today.
- Happy late Easter! I hope you were able to celebrate this holiday with family and friends and enjoy some relaxation. Holidays like Easter, where we don’t get any extra days off work, always make the weekends seem extra special. I was very grateful for this holiday last weekend! The Easter bunny even paid me a visit so I can’t complain.
- I have successfully completed 6 consecutive work days of working out in the morning before I leave. Woot! I know 6 isn’t all that much, but more than I have done for any of my true working life, so I will take it. Day 1 was definitely much easier than the rest (I think the excitement was short lived), but I’ve managed to roll myself out of bed for 6 days now. I want to complete 21 in a row, so I have 15 more to go – yikes!
- Yesterday was Marathon Monday! I love the camaraderie and spirit that comes from big races and watching the Boston Marathon on tv always gives me such positive vibes. I will never forget watching the marathon the year the bombs went off and how emotional that was. It is so great to see such a positive recovery from such horrific events – that is a true testament to the spirit of running.
- Since Easter has now officially passed, Lent is complete and I AM BACK TO EATING ICE CREAM. YES. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to give up ice cream. I have been eating ice cream ever single day for literally as long as I can remember. I have tried to give it up many, many times before and never succeeded for more than 5 days. 40 is quite an accomplishment for me! I have a serious case of a sugar addiction and am slowly working my way up to being able to conquer this, but for now, I will be celebrating this week with my daily bowl of goodness.
- It is hard to believe that April is already more than halfway over, but as this coming weekend approaches I need to make a decision whether or not I will be running the half marathon I had planned on Sunday in Grand Rapids. I have not been training very consistently, as I took nearly two full weeks off in the end of March because I was sick, but I have decided that I will indeed be running it. I had originally planned on running this race for a PR, but that ship has definitely sailed. I will run this race slowly and just for fun, as I am not too worried about the distance since I have been running these past few weeks and ran a half just 4 weeks ago. My mom decided to sign up and run it with me, which will be great motivation to enjoy the race and not rush through it!
- Puzzles. Puzzles. Puzzles. My obsession with puzzles has officially returned! We completed two puzzles over spring break, and just bought another one this past weekend. We started it Saturday evening and finished it last night! I never think that doing a puzzle will be that enjoyable, but as soon as I get started it’s all I can think about. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder definitely shows itself in my behavior.
- My mom finds a new cake recipe every Easter and they are always ridiculously colorful. The past couple of years she has experimented with rainbow cakes, and this year she tried out a Strawberry recipe. They are always excellent! I wish that I had gotten her baking gene, but I can’t say that I have. Maybe it will be one of those things that I don’t plan to enjoy but end up obsessed with it after trying it (just like puzzles;)
- We are starting to plan our Michigan summer road trip! The past few years we have spent one of the first weeks of each summer traveling the state and camping at different state parks. I truly believe that we live in one of the most versatile states and definitely need to take advantage of it! My parents spent so much of their marriage and my childhood camping in different parts of Michigan, and it always amazes me with all of the things they managed to do and see just in our state. We are planning on driving to the Upper Peninsula with our final destination in Marquette, but stopping many places along the way! Last year we were able to go to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinaw Island, Tahquamenom Falls and Pictured Rocks.
- As we approach the end of spring and start of summer, it’s time to start thinking about training plans and future races. I won’t need to start training for the New York Marathon until the beginning of July, so I have a bit of wiggle room to decide what to do with after the half marathon this weekend. I’ve got about two months of time to kill. I still really want to PR in the half marathon this year, but am not sure if that will be a realistic goal. I know that I definitely won’t be running a half in the last two month s of the year after running the full, so my only time to attempt a PR is in the next two months. We’ll see how the race this weekend goes, but considering how I have been lacking in motivation lately it’s not looking too promising. I am considering completing Kayla Itsines’ BBG 12 Week program once more before marathon training starts, which would mean my running would decrease during that time. I will keep you updated 😉
- Spring is finally here! Summer is just around the corner, and it’s so close I can taste it. I love the fresh buds on all the trees and am just obsessed with sunsets and sunrises now.
Here’s hoping the spring weather is giving you a fresh burst of optimism and energy! I think it’s safe to say that we have made it through the dark of winter and things will only get lighter and warmer from here.
Cheers to a great second half of the week!