Happy weekend! Wahoooo! My cousin is getting married tonight and I can’t wait to celebrate. Ever since we got engaged last summer weddings have become a whole new level of interesting. I’ve always loved weddings, but now I am much more aware of all the work that goes into them and all the little details happening. I love how each wedding that we go to is so unique to the couple, and can’t wait to experience another one.
With the upcoming start of marathon training this Monday, I’ve been planning and brainstorming some goals that I would like to accomplish during these next 20 weeks. Some of them are the standard, usual goals for a marathon, but I made a point to think of some more specific, reasonable goals as well. I’ve always found that I hold myself much more accountable when I create concrete goals for myself, but for some reason have never really sat down to do this before a specific race.
Here’s to a first time for everything, and making this the best marathon yet.
My summer training goals:
- Slow down the pace for my long runs
- I discovered that my long runs have been too fast and my ‘fast’ runs have been too slow to accomplish my time goals – I am going to make a point to focus on my easy runs being truly easy, and once a week really step it up for speed work
- Incorporate some structured speed work/tempo runs once a week
- Rather than just trying to run “fast” on Tuesdays;), I want to have a structured plan for these tempo runs (mile repeats, 800s, etc.)
- Carry enough water to stay hydrated and have extra to pour over my head
- To avoid having my mom or fiance ride their bike to bring me more… guilty
- Stretch after EVERY SINGLE RUN
- Always a goal of mine… we’ll see if it happens 😉
- Eat something within 30 minutes of returning from long runs
- I am terrible at this due to pure laziness! I always find myself in the shower feeling faint or sick after a long run because I haven’t eaten anything yet.
- Log all my runs in my training journal
- So far, so good. I can’t wait to look back on all the runs!
- Take a self defense class
- Not specifically running related, but something I’ve been telling myself I’d do for SO long to feel safer on my runs
- Run early enough to beat the heat on long run days
- Ooooh, laziness again haha
- Strength train/cross train twice a week
- I’ve been doing pretty well with this lately and definitely want to keep it up!
- PR: Sub 4:30
- This is a huge one for me because my marathon PR is 4:40. I’ve always wanted to beat this time but never been able to put in effort for long enough on my speed workouts. I really am hoping to accomplish it this time!
My plan is to print these goals out and put them right behind my training plan so I can check in on them regularly! It’s always very motivating for me when I can check things off of a list, so I’m going to attempt to use that in my favor this time around.
I just can’t wait to get started! I’m so happy I took a few weeks off from running because now I am itching to get back out there and hit the roads.
Happy running, friends!