Happy August 2nd! As I’m typing this I have to keep correcting myself because I repeatedly type July instead of August. Didn’t 2017 just start? I blinked and all of a sudden we are on the 8th month of the year! Before we know it the fall scents and decorations will be hitting the stores (not that I’m complaining, because fall is really the best;).
With the start of a new month I always like to take some time to reflect on what happened last month and check back in with the goals I set.
Here were my July goals:
- Continue training for the NYC Marathon – complete every single long run distance (i.e., if I wind up needing to skip a run at some point due to travel, schedule, etc., don’t skip the long run)
- As far as continuing training for the NYC Marathon – I definitely did that. Not skipping any long runs? Ehhh, I kinda fudged my way through some of them. I started out strong with a 10 miler. The second week, I had 12 miles on the schedule and only ran 10 (vacation motivation was low). The following week was a cut back week of 6 miles – check! The next week was a little iffy – I had 12 miles on the schedule and split it up into two 6 milers within 20 hours of each other. I don’t think that really counts, but it sure helped relieve some stress when I was trying to figure out how to fit them all in. This past week was great, 14 miles on the schedule and 14 miles completed!
- Finish my current book and read 1 more!
- Hmmm, not looking too good. I did finish the current book, but no new book was read! I finished The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrandt. It was a great summer read! It took me a little while to get into it but once I did it was a page turner. This past weekend I bought two new books to read during our honeymoon, so hopefully I can get back on the bandwagon.
- Strength train after every run except the long run
- I would consider myself successful with this! I have gotten into the routine of completing a 75 second plank, 75 second bridge, 50 crunches, 50 hip lifts, and 50 squats after each run. It isn’t a ton, but it’s definitely better thank nothing!
- Stretch after ever single run
- I would consider myself successful here as well! After those few strength moves I have gotten into a stretching routine. I’ve missed a few runs, but all in all I feel like I’ve been pretty consistent with it.
- Drink 72 oz of water every day
- This has definitely been hit or miss over the past few weeks. I started out pretty well, but when things got busy I got lazy and drank less water. Band camp was a challenge because there was really no place to fill up my water bottle while we were out on the field. I definitely have still been drinking a decent amount of water, even on my bad days (50 oz) but not quite the amount I wanted in my goal. This past week I’ve been making more of an effort to drink water before the wedding so at least I’m heading in the right direction!
- Lap swim at least once
- Ahhh, yikes! Month two of failing at this. I did not get to lap swim at all, but I did sign up for my first ever swim race! It’s a 1.2 mile open water swim for charity that takes place in August. I certainly will not be speedy, or even trained up for this race, but I am excited to test the waters (literally!) and try something new.
- Find a new trail to explore for running
- We did explore a new path when we were on vacation up in Cheboygan! This was the only new-to-me trail of the month but it sure was a nice one!
- Get all the details and timeline planned for our wedding
- COMPLETE! With our wedding now officially 3 days away I finally feel like we are on top of the planning and ready to go. Our last few tasks are just finishing up packing, and running little errands that we can’t do until we get into town. 3 DAYS TO GO!!!
- Research and learn more about Scleroderma to come up with questions for my doctor
- I did do some more research on my mystery disease, and for the most part came up with things similar to those I’d already ready, or ridiculous symptoms that made me want to stop researching on the internet. I did not come up with an organized list of questions for my doctor, so I definitely want to do that this month before my appointment.
- Set aside time each week to really be present, and explore a new place with my fiance and no distractions
- We’ve been doing better with this this past month. Wedding planning can really add stress to the day, and in turn add stress to the relationship. We haven’t experienced any stresses to our relationship other than grumpiness, but I always feel so much better when I force myself to take some time to just relax and be present in the moment. We went to the movies for the first time in many months, went out to eat a few times, got ice cream, went on a few road trips, and have been dancing together each day. I sure am excited for 6 days of uninterrupted and stress free time together on our honeymoon!
With those goals in mind, here are my 10 goals for August!
- Get serious about marathon training! This is the point where the mileage really starts to increase and it is important for me to stay on top of my game. When we get back from our honeymoon I will no longer have any excuses.
- With that being said, continue strength training and stretching after each run.
- Try out some new cross training activities to complete on my cross day each month.
- Complete my first ever non-running race!
- Start and finish two books
- Shift my focus from the wedding to planning for the future; career, financial, moving to a new place, etc.
- Research Scleroderma and come up with a list of questions for my doctor.
- Visit a new country 🙂
- Remove myself from social media for a week.
- GET MARRIED!!
It’s going to be a great month! Lots of changes are in store, and while they may be scary, I am confident in the fact that they will lead to wonderful things. Nothing worth having comes easy.
Have an amazing Wednesday!