Happy Saturday! It’s time for those long runs! This is my “cut back” week in my training plan so my long run this week is only 6 miles. I am actually quite sad that I will be missing out on the long run endorphins this weekend, so I’ve been thinking about some other things I love as a runner to bring me that happiness.
As we are getting deeper into training for those fall marathons, here are 26.2 things that runners love:
- CARB LOADING – bread, pasta, potatoes… love it ALL!
- New running shoes – the fresh smell included
- The first long run after summer running season when the temperature is cooler and NOT HUMID
- Finding the perfect running fuel (and then buying it in bulk;)
- The runner wave! Arguably my favorite part about running is when I see other runners out there and they wave at me
- Bonding with strangers on race day – I’ve had the best experiences in pace groups with total strangers
- Aid stations with more than just water or Gatorade – we ran a race once where they had marshmallows as fuel… YUM
- Automatic PRs for weird race distance (8k, 12k, etc.)
- Running in the first snow (before it gets old and we are sick of the inconvenience)
- Bright running clothes – neons are the bomb.com
- Talking about running, paces, races, places
- ENDORPHINS … no more needs to be said!
- Race medals – it’s sad how motivating these medals can be
- Posting your miles on social media (how do we know it really happened if you never talk about it?)
- A great running selfie! Mmm seeing that picture afterwards is so satisfying.
- Going to bed ridiculously early (hello 9pm bed time)
- Running fanny packs… they’re cute, I swear;)
- Water water water – I love to hydrate!
- Seeing the sun rise or sunset. One of the best parts of the day that so many miss out on!
- Post long run laziness. Not feeling guilty about binge watching TV for 6 hours!
- Wearing running clothes in public
- Costume or themed races – nothing gets you in the spirit for a holiday or season like a race with thousands dressed for it!
- Peeing in the woods… sometimes you just have to.
- Garmin stats – I am definitely a number junkie, I love looking at those paces and heart rate info even on easy runs!
- Well deserved PRs. Nothing is more satisfying.
- Post race beverages … or .2 … post race ICE CREAM 🙂
Happy running, friends!!