Happy Thursday! This is one of those weeks where the days are passing so quickly that I keep forgetting what day it actually is. I will take that as a good thing! This week has been filled with randomness, wrapping up some loose ends, getting started on some big projects, and focusing on recovery in preparation for the New York City Marathon. Here are three things that I’ve been thinking about lately.
Three Things I’m Doing to Prepare for the Marathon
- Adding some foam rolling to my daily routine! I normally stretch after each run, but this is around the time I start to get really paranoid that it’s not enough, so I’ve added some foam rolling to ease my worries a little bit.
- Looking back through my training journal. I love doing this! My training journal reminds me of all the miles I’ve run during training, weather I’ve conquered, aches and pains that have healed, and mental battles I’ve fought.
- Upping my water intake. I normally drink about half my body weight in water each day but I am trying to add about 8-10 ounces to that for these next few weeks just to make sure I am as hydrated as possible by race day.
Three Foods I’m Loving
- I made some caramel apple slices this past weekend and they proved to be MUCH more challenging than I expected! It took a while, but I finally figured out that I needed to add some milk to the caramel to make it creamier and that made all the difference.
- Yesterday I tried making some Chicken Alfredo Pasta in the crockpot and it wasn’t quite as creamy as I was hoping. Still good though!
- You may have noticed, but I eat a lot of the same things every day … aka chicken for dinner. We had some stir fry last night and it turned out great!
Three Books I’m Reading
- “Bittersweet” by Shauna Niequist – I just finished this book on Sunday and it was another one of hers that I’ve loved. Her books just put me in such a positive frame of mind and I loved started my day that way.
- “Runner’s World Race Everything” by Bart Yasso. LOVE Bart Yasso and his stories. There is nothing like a good running read to get me motivated and excited for the upcoming race!
- “Healthy, Happy YOU” by Nora Rosendahl. This isn’t so much a book as it is a list of 365 ‘micro-actions’ to complete to change your life. These micro-actions are just simple things to do each day to increase your happiness, and since this book is basically like one big checklist, I am loving it!
Three Thoughts About the Weather
- These past few days have been absolutely perfect for running – high 40s and sunshine. Knock on wood, but it looks like the weather is supposed to stick around these temperatures for good now!
- We got 8 inches of rain this past weekend (all while we were running on Saturday morning it seems) and it flooded the University’s football field! The game was rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday because the field had basically turned into a lake, and over 1 million gallons of water were pumped off the field in order to make the game happen!
- 4 more days until the extended forecast will show the weather for the day of the NYC Marathon.
Three Things I’m Excited About
- THE NEW YORK CITY MARATHON. 16 DAYS,
- The upcoming holiday season! I absolutely love these last three months and especially the time from Halloween to New Years. Thinking about all the coziness, decorations and chilly weather just makes me so excited.
- Getting back to some cross training. While I have absolutely been enjoying marathon training, by the end of training I always find myself looking forward to taking some time off after the marathon and having extra time during the week to incorporate some different cross training workouts.
Well, those are my random thoughts for the week. I sure hope the things you are excited about are seem to be approaching quickly! There is really so much to look forward to in life and this time of year does a great job reminding me of that.
Have a terrific Thursday!