Happy Friday! Today is the last day of the week and I am finally caught up from our trip last weekend. Recovering from a marathon is always a tricky time for me mentally. On one hand, I’ve been looking forward to these days of resting guilt-free for the past four months. But on the other hand, I’m starting to get a little antsy without a goal that I’m working towards. Finishing a marathon is such a huge accomplishment, but suddenly the days following it seem like they have no purpose. What am I working towards now?!
Well, while I attempt to find the answer to that question, I’ve been stumbling upon some great inspiration. My emotions are still running high from the race and I am finding that everyday things inspire me much more than usual lately.
There’s no better way to end the week than with some good vibes! Starting off the weekend on a positive note really sets the tone and focuses my mind on the good in the days ahead. While searching for new goals this past week, I got a little sidetracked and ended up unintentionally finding some heartwarming articles. I want to share these with you as we head into the weekend! Here are some great things to motivate and inspire you this Friday.
Five Things that Will Inspire You Today
- Allie Kiefer took 5th overall at the New York City Marathon this weekend. That alone is an accomplishment worth celebrating, but the fact that she was unsponsored and took 26 minutes off her PR is incredible! 26 minutes means that she ran a full minute per mile faster than her previous personal best in this race. Her story here is one that will inspire you even if you are not a runner.
- When looking for something relatable, I have been turning to the show ‘This is Us’ on TV lately. I love how relatable the story is to people of all different backgrounds. Not only is the show itself inspiring, but reading this article about the actress who plays Kate, Chrissy Metz, really got to me. Talk about relentlessly pursuing your dreams. Before landing the role as Kate she had 81 cents in her bank account. You never know what moment is going to change your life forever!
- I’m not quite sure how (probably one of those ‘you might like this’ articles that pop up on Facebook), but I randomly stumbled upon a website of a girl who has an incredible story. This girl, Emma Carey, was in an absolutely horrific sky diving accident 4 years ago. She somehow survived, has been through relentless challenges and trauma, and still manages to spread one of the most optimistic messages I’ve ever heard. Reading her story is terrifying, as I can’t even imagine what it would be to go through something like this, but again reminds you that you never know what is going to change your life. The most horrible time in your life could wind up changing your life for the better. It’s definitely worth it to take a few minutes and read her story!
- Speaking of not letting your situation limit you, I recently rediscovered this video from a while ago. This 6 year old boy with Autism plays Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” on the piano and it’s incredible. This is a difficult piece to play and he is doing it at only 6! It just reminds me that we all have something worth celebrating within us, we just have to find it.
- This last one has to be one of my FAVORITES. I’m such a sap for these kinds of things, but it inspires me every time. WestJet surprised all of the passengers on this flight with what can only be described as a Christmas miracle. Such a wonderful reminder that while we constantly hear bad news each night on television, there are still some wonderful people out there who go out of their way to improve the lives of others.
Let’s make this weekend a good one! The holiday season is quickly approaching and it’s just about time to start spreading some joy. Happy Friday, friends!