Merry Christmas Eve Eve! Or happy December 23rd if you don’t celebrate Christmas! I absolutely cannot believe that this month is almost over. (I think I’ve said that to start every post so far this week, haha). Since time seems to be flying by so quickly, I am trying to soak in every moment! I’ve been trying to focus on being fully present in each moment throughout this holiday season. These next few days especially, I want to enjoy time with family and participate in some of my favorite Christmas traditions.
In the spirit of the holidays, I want to share the traditions I look forward to most each year. This is my absolute favorite time of year, and I have loved it all so far. Tomorrow is the most exciting of them all because the anticipation for the holiday is so high.
Ever since I can remember, my family has done the same things on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This year, I am excited to have my husband with us for the first time! Our holidays look a little different now that we’re splitting them up between two families, but we are lucky enough to still have time to complete my favorite activities.
I love that traditions don’t need to be anything crazy or extreme to seem special. Even the littlest of things can have meaning if you do them every year together.
Here are my favorite Christmas traditions:
Christmas Eve homemade pizza with Coke!
- I can’t take credit for the pizza, but I sure look forward to it each year. My mom make the dough in her bread maker and it always turns out amazing. So much better than delivery pizza! I love doing something a little different than most families on Christmas Eve.
Watching A Christmas Story.This movie is such a classic. There are few movies that my mom and I love that my dad and husband will also sit through, but this is one of them. It airs for 24 hours straight on TBS which is perfect.
Indulging in ridiculous amounts of cookies and the best fudge in the world the night before Christmas.
- I can’t really take credit for this either (I need to step up my game next year), but we always eat cookies and fudge for dessert before heading to bed Christmas Eve. My mom makes what believe to be the best fudge in the world – I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like it. She makes it in her bread maker which is the secret!
Going on a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day run with my family! (Hopefully in the snow, too:).
- We’ve gone on a run together ever since I started running and I love it. Both my parents and I head out to the trail near their house (usually on Christmas Day) and everyone we pass says Merry Christmas!
Making a Gingerbread House.
- This is something my husband and I started doing the first year we were dating, and have done it every year since. It’s fun to create something new and see how it differs from the previous year!
Christmas morning donuts 🙂
- Always something to look forward to after presents. With pizza the night before and donuts the next morning, you can see that this holiday is definitely one where I treat myself.
Something my husband and I are starting this year: exchanging pajamas on Christmas Eve!
- I know a lot of people do this, but I’ve never done it before and am excited to start this year. My husband and I want to start a tradition on our own that we continue when we have children. It will be fun to wear them to bed and open presents in them on Christmas morning!
Something else my husband and I started this year: making a time capsule Christmas ornament.
- I saw this idea online and was so excited to try it! We bought empty glass Christmas ball ornaments and filled them with memories from the past year. We cut up red and green paper and wrote down some of our favorites from the year before rolling them and putting them in the glass ball. I can’t wait to read through them in the future!
- Perhaps my favorite of them all (although it’s very hard to choose) is going skiing the week between Christmas and New Years. My husband had never been skiing before we started dating but he braved learning with me for the first time and caught on so fast. Since that first year we have gone again every year for three days and it’s been a blast!
What are your favorite traditions this time of year?! I love the extra time we get to spend with our families and celebrate all the good in life.