Happy Global Running Day! Today is arguably one of the best holidays of the year. Today is a day to celebrating running and everything it brings to our lives and the world. In honor of the holiday, I am sharing my favorite 15 reasons to run. If you haven’t yet gotten out there to try running – what better reason to start running than Global Running Day?!
It may sound a bit cheesy, but I truly believe that running has the power to change the world, let alone each of our own personal lives. There is nothing quite as inspirational as standing at the start of a race in a crowd of other runners. Hearing some of the stories and journeys others have taken to get to where they are in this sport is absolutely incredible.
Runners show some of the strongest determination and strength that I have ever seen.
One of my absolute favorite parts about running is the fact that the sport is so inclusive. Just about anyone can run – no matter your age, location, culture, shape or size. Runners come in groups, big packs at races, and individuals out on their own. Running fits into your life in whatever way you need it. No matter your reasons to take up running, it is a sport that unites us all.
When I look back on the past 8 or so years of my life, I find that nothing has remained more consistent that running. While my life has changed, sometimes drastically, running has always remained the same. Running has been with me through some difficult lows and some incredible highs, and I can’t even imagine who I would be without it.
Running has enhanced the quality of my life, developed me as a person, and taught me incredible skills. While I didn’t expect any of these things when I began running, they are still some of my most important reasons to run. My reasons to start running are different than my reasons to keep going, but the benefits are still just as incredible.
Whether you are just looking for a reason to start running or you’re a seasoned pro, here are 15 reasons to run today. Running takes nothing more than a pair of shoes and some exercise clothes, yet it is one of the best things you can do for your body. Give running a chance today, and I promise you’ll gain some confidence and return home feeling better than when you left.
15 Amazing Reasons to Start Running
- You can run literally anywhere! As long as you can open your front door, the possibilities are endless.
- The endorphin rush makes all the painful moments worth it. You’ll return home with a boost in your mood and a smile on your face!
- You burn about 100 calories per mile whether you run at a 16 minute pace or a 6 minute pace… aka: you get to eat more carbs and treats without feeling guilty.
- Nothing compares to experiencing nature firsthand. Running provides you with the opportunity to explore some faraway places, or right around your neighborhood. No matter where you are, fresh air will do you good.
- Running will help you feel confident. Knowing that you’ve conquered your first mile, a run through snowy roads, blistering heat, or a marathon provides a boost to your confidence. Running will show you everything of which you are capable.
- You’ll feel your stress melt away. Whether you’ve had an argument with your spouse, tough day at work, family crisis, or the best day of your life – running gives you an outlet for all those emotions and provides you time to work through them.
- Time on your runs is time for YOU that no one can interrupt. You can think, make decisions, plan, or just enjoy the silence.
- You’ll come home with more energy than when you left. It sounds counterintuitive, right? Running requires us to expend so much energy, so how in the world do we return home with more than when we began? While running might exhaust you in a physical way, it refreshes your mind and acts as a reset button for the day.
- You will sleep better. Expending extra energy and stress while running will make it easier to fall asleep and increases the quality of the sleep you get.
- Running at the start of your day will help you gain motivation and focus for the rest of your day. Whether or not you’re a morning person, logging some miles in the morning is something to consider to help start your day on the right foot (literally).
- You’ll feel better – get less colds, feel happier, and have a strong immune system. All the exercise will strengthen your cardiovascular system, help you shed excess fat and increase muscle strength. You will gain some pretty impressive health benefits!
- If you decide to run a race: you’ll meet the happiest and most inspirational group of people. The most inspiring stories I’ve heard and people I’ve met in my life have been at some sort of running event. Surrounding yourself with like minded people is a guaranteed way to increase your motivation!
- You’ll accomplish a goal. There’s nothing that compares to the feeling of working hard towards accomplishing a goal and then finally being able to cross it off. Running provides you with infinite opportunities to challenge yourself.
- The impossible will suddenly feel more possible. Whatever feels impossible now will suddenly start to feel more realistic as you work towards it. Does it feel impossible to run a mile without walking? Or have you always wanted to run a marathon? Whatever your goals are – running provides you with the opportunity to achieve them.
- You’ll get smiles and waves from all the other runners you pass. Having the support of strangers is a wonderfully motivating feeling. Spread joy out there on the roads!
The list could go on and on. Take the opportunity to celebrate the sport that unites us all on this Global Running Day! Hopefully you get a chance to lace up your shoes and head out to your favorite trail. Or if you’re just looking for some reasons to start running, hopefully you’ve found your motivation to give it a try.
Running definitely presents its challenges, but nothing worth having comes easy. Those struggles are what make the successes worth it. Happy Global Running Day, friends!
More Reasons to Start Running:
- Celebrating Global Running Day 2017!
- Running Inspiration When You Need it Most
- Running Gadgets Every Runner Needs to Have
- What I’ve Learned from Running Marathons
- The Incredible Mental Health Benefits of Exercise