One of my favorite parts about running is that it allows for constant improvement. No matter how good we get, there’s always more we can do. Running has the ability to push us to new limits, and with that ability comes the constant quest for new information. With each new phase of running I experience comes questions, periods of low motivation, and the need to treat my body well. I am always on the prowl for new running resources, and over time have found some go to resources for runners that never fail me.
With such a plethora of resources for runners out there, sometimes it’s hard to navigate through them to narrow them down. There are running websites, a continuous flow of articles for runners, and never ending running motivation quotes on Pinterest. As the resources continue to grow, I find myself returning to the tried and true to find my answers first.
These running resources continue to teach me new techniques, training tips, and workouts. They introduce me to some of the best running gear and gadgets that will improve my running exponentially. Without a doubt, I believe that the running resources listed below are the absolute best resources for runners.
Listed below are some amazing links, gear, gadget, articles, and websites to keep you running injury free, improve your training, and increase your running motivation.
36 Amazing Resources for Runners
Essential Running Gear & Gadgets
- Garmin GPS Watch
- I have been through my share of Garmin watches, and never found one that I didn’t love. While none of them have ever failed me, I now personally wear the Garmin Forerunner 235 and it is my favorite one yet. The Heart Rate monitor in the wrist is SO much easier than the strap I used to have to wear, and the ability to program in different workouts is great on speed days.
- Prior to this watch I used the Forerunner 10 (back when it only calculated distance & time – way before it got fancy) and the Vivoactive.
- Handheld Water Bottle or Water Belt
- When I first started running, I really wanted to carry my water around my waist. The thought of having to hold a water bottle sounded really inconvenient, especially by the end of a long run. I experimented with a TON of water belts, and it took years to finally find one that didn’t bounce around – my favorite one is this one.
- After using a belt for a while I finally convinced myself to try a handheld water bottle, and as it turns out – I LOVED it. I haven’t gone back since. This handheld water bottle has been my sidekick on long runs for almost 5 years now.
- Fuel Belt
- Every runner needs a place to store their phone and other essentials on the run! This is the fuel belt I currently have, and have never had any problem being able to fit my phone and fuel in it. It looks small but it stretches out really nicely!
- Wireless Headphones
- These wireless Jaybird Headphones have been my favorites for years! They don’t hurt your ears and don’t wiggle around.
- Foam Roller
- Any foam roller will do! I have had this foam roller for years.
Training Plans (for beginners through advanced)
5k Training Plan
10k Training Plan
Marathon Training Plan
Amazing Running Motivation
- The Ultimate Source of Running Inspiration
Effective Running Workouts (for speed and strength)
- The Most Effective Interval Workout. This is the interval workout that helped me cut nearly 20 minutes off my half marathon PR! It can be adapted for any distance, so it’s easy to incorporate into a training plan that you already have.
- 3 & 5 mile Treadmill Interval Workouts. Treadmills have NEVER been my friend, but adding some intervals sure makes the time go by faster!
- Yasso 800s. This workout is supposed to predict your marathon finish time. I’ve never completed them consistently enough to have a good estimate of my finish time, but this has always been a great workout during marathon training.
- Hill Workouts. Hill workouts are speed work in disguise! If you can’t convince yourself to run intervals or tempo runs, try adding in some hill repeats.
- Warm Up & Cool Down Exercises for Runners. This warm up routine will help you stay injury free during training, and only takes a minute or two to complete.
The Best Running Websites
Running Nutrition & Post Workout Snacks
- Fueling on the Run
- Post Workout Snacks
Free Running Apps
- RunKeeper. This is a great way to record your miles even if you don’t have a GPS watch! It does nearly all of the same things and helps keep you accountable.
- Smashrun. This app is a great way to keep track of runs, analyze your running stats, progress, and share with friends. It keeps everything in one place and is a great motivator to continue improving!
- C25K. A great program for those looking to start running. This Couch to 5k program sets up a very manageable program to get you from running 0 miles to running 3.1!
- Footpath. This app is my must have app for every run, especially when traveling or in unfamiliar areas. I discovered a gold mine when I found it! You can read more about it here.
- Strava. A great way to record your miles, keep you accountable, and build a community with like minded people!
- MapMyRun. Another great way to record your miles even if you don’t have a GPS watch! It does nearly all of the same things and helps keep you accountable.
- Nike+ Run Club. This app records your miles but also has some workouts programmed right into it. I use the Nike+ apps when I am looking for workout inspiration in my living room or at the gym as well.
Epic Race Ideas
- Running in the USA. My favorite place to browse races. You can browse by location, date or distance.
- halfmarathons.net. You guessed it, this site lists all half marathons! If you’re looking for a half marathon, this site has everything you need in one place.
- vacationraces.com. This website lists all races in National Parks – I have never completed one, but they are definitely on the bucket list!
Taking advantage of all the running resources out there will no doubt help you become the best runner you can be. This age of technology we are living in definitely has its advantages, and I love the fact that I am able to learn so much for free. When I purchase running gear or sign up for a race, I can do so knowing that this purchase is bound to help me become a better runner. These resources for runners are only the beginning!
Looking for more? Check out even more resources for runners:
- How to Prevent a Foot or Ankle Injury from Running
- Summer & Winter Running
- Cross Training Workouts
- Staying Hydrated
- Picking the Right Running Shoes
- First Time Marathoners