Happy July 1st!! I can’t believe we are already in the middle of summer. The fourth of July is quickly approaching and that’s always the point when I realize we’ve been on summer break for a while!
With the start of July, I can officially say that we get married NEXT MONTH! In 35 days, to be exact. But who’s counting 😉 haha, actually I started my counting down with just about a year to go. Now we only have a few sticky notes left!
I love the transition into the start of a new month because it always feels like a fresh new start. I am all about setting goals for myself, and love an excuse to reevaluate my previous goals, and decide what all I want to accomplish with the new month.
Here’s a look at the June goals I set for myself:
- Begin training for the NEW YORK CITY MARATHON ?
- Check! I am almost done with week two and it has been going well so far. I did swap a 4 mile run for a 6 mile hike last week, but am not too worried about running versus walking so early in the training plan. This week has been right on schedule so far! We’ll see how these next 4 weeks go as training starts to ramp up.
- Read at least two books (we’ll try this one again;)
- Yes, finally! I am halfway through my fourth book this month. I finished up The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda, and The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gains. Both were EXCELLENT! I also read one nonfictional book about businesses that was very motivation. Now I am currently reading The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrandt. It had a bit of a slow start but now I’m really getting into it!
- Continue strength training at least 3 times a week
- Definitely accomplished this in the beginning of the month before training started. I was doing great mixing up my workouts each day and getting in work on my weak areas individually, but this has lessened the past few weeks as my running has decreased. I have been doing strength training exercises after each run except my long run (3x a week), plus one day specifically set aside for a full strength training workout, so I’d say that counts 😉
- Explore at least 3 different trails for running or hiking
- Check! We hiked the dune trails out in Saugatuck by Lake Michigan earlier this month, and caught two trails in the Upper Peninsula on our recent vacation. We hiked a trail at Indian Lake State Park, as well as the North Country Trail.
- Visit Lake Michigan at least once before the end of the month
- I accomplished this one right away! Saugatuck is a cute town right on the shore of Lake Michigan, and we hiked out to it on the dunes.
- Organize all of our wedding things so they are easily accessible and ready to go when we need them
- YES! Finally! It feels nice to have them all organized in labeled boxes. Now I just have to keep this up as we get more and more things to add to the neatly organized boxes.
- Order the last of the items needed for our wedding
- With sending in the order for our ceremony programs yesterday, I can officially say that we have everything ordered that we need! The last few things won’t require ordering (like champagne for the limo, water and jars to store our bouquets, etc.) All the big things are set to go! Fingers crossed for no last minute emergencies.
- Lap swim at least once
- Ooops, definitely failed on this one. Lap swimming didn’t even cross my mind this month. I will keep this goal for July and see if I can make it happen!
- Continue to experiment with different dinner recipes
- This definitely happened, although it wasn’t always me that did the cooking 😉 I am really enjoying my fiance’s new hobby of cooking, and certainly hopes it continues! We’ve had some great meals here this past month.
- Finally get a professional opinion on my elbow problems!
- I did! I went to the doctor a little over a week ago, and she scheduled me for some blood tests and x-rays. I went in for the lab work and x-rays this past week, and actually just got some results back yesterday. My x-rays were normal, but some of my blood work was not. Evidently I tested positive for Rheumatoid Factor and a few other antibodies, which show signs of an autoimmune disorder. To what extent, I am not sure. She referred me to a Rheumatologist and I just set up an appointment this morning. Unfortunately the next available appointment is in mid September, so I will be waiting a while before I find out more answers. The doctor I will be seeing specializes in Scleroderma, and with some internet research I was able to find out a little bit more about what this is. It definitely sounds like exactly what I am experiencing, especially because it started with Raynauds. I’m going to wait until September before panicking or assuming anything, as it sounds like there are varying degrees of seriousness associated with this disease. I plan to keep running until my appointment, unless things get worse!
Whew, you probably didn’t need to hear all that rambling, but I thought I’d share since it specifically related to a goal I set last month. Looking ahead, this is going to be an incredibly busy month! We start it off with a week long vacation up north this week, followed by our Bachelorette/Bachelor parties next weekend. The following weekend is my friend’s bridal shower (she is a bridesmaid in my wedding and I will be one in hers a month later). Followed by my fiance’s sister’s 21st birthday party, and then a week of band camp! After that there is just one week until our wedding and honeymoon!!
With all that in mind, here are my goals for July:
- Continue training for the NYC Marathon – complete every single long run distance (i.e., if I wind up needing to skip a run at some point due to travel, schedule, etc., don’t skip the long run)
- Finish my current book and read 1 more!
- Strength train after every run except the long run
- Stretch after ever single run
- Drink 72 oz of water every day
- Lap swim at least once
- Find a new trail to explore for running
- Get all the details and timeline planned for our wedding
- Research and learn more about Scleroderma to come up with questions for my doctor
- Set aside time each week to really be present, and explore a new place with my fiance and no distractions
Well, there you have it. It really helps me hold myself accountable when I write my goals out and can refer back to them. I love looking ahead and thinking of things I want to make time for, and how I want to improve myself.
Hopefully you get to look forward to some rest and relaxation this month, and are excited about what is to come. I hope your July is off to an amazing start!